Celebrating 25 Years of Learning and Community

by Eleanor Wieder

Introduction

As Robert Beaury mentions in his message this month, Bard LLI can proudly celebrate 25 years of building a community of people who share a lifetime love of learning. The breadth and depth of the courses we offer is extraordinary, as is apparent in the fall 2024 course catalog. So is the satisfaction of being part of and contributing to this wonderful organization. 

I’m excited, as the chair of Planning and Evaluation, to oversee the committee that will plan our celebration of Bard LLI’s 25th anniversary. The year will culminate in a gala in July 2025. In the meantime, a series of articles in our newsletter will provide a perspective on our history and plans for the future. A large banner celebrating LLI’s 25 years at Bard now hangs across Annandale Road, so be on the lookout for it! Thank you to Mike Emerich, Director of Buildings and Grounds at Bard, for helping to get the banner up for our first week of classes. And many thanks to Elena Erber, daughter of LLI founder Sylvia Eber, for generously designing both our 25th and 20th anniversary logos and banners.

Volunteer Experience

When I first moved to the area five years ago, I knew no one. Then I joined LLI. I took my first classes in the fall of 2020 when COVID necessitated that we become a Zoom organization. I thought the transition was seamless, only to find out later that the volunteers who made it work had to adapt to overcome a number of obstacles.

I soon volunteered for the Curriculum Committee and the DEI/Social Justice Team. I was then elected to Council as a Member at Large, and then appointed as chair of Planning and Evaluation. In fact, the most rewarding part of my LLI experience has been to be part of what makes the machine work. As a result of my volunteer efforts, I am now part of a vibrant community of interesting, engaged people.

Five-Year Plan

As mandated by our bylaws, Planning and Evaluation must look to the future every five years and develop a Five Year Plan. The team has been interviewing members to understand the benefits and downsides of their experience. We hope to have completed the new plan by winter. It is exciting that, as we look back and celebrate the past 25 years of LLI, we are also looking forward and planning for the future.

We know there are problems, such as working with the technology, finding adequate spaces for our classes, and encouraging people to volunteer. The team is looking for measures to deal with them and would welcome any suggestions.

Contribute Your Ideas

Our celebration and growth should be a shared effort. If you are interested in learning more about the different committees, please contact the committee heads. For more information, check out the Upcoming Meetings and Important Dates for Members at the end of this newsletter. If you have any ideas or comments that you’d like to share, please email me at [email protected].

Top