Fall Classes Though a Zoom Lens

Introduction

LLI members often have strong opinions, which we are willing to share when given a chance. That chance came when we were asked to complete our evaluation forms for the fall classes. As usual, those forms asked specifically about course content and presenter. However, many of us used the comments section to also provide feedback about how using Zoom affected various aspects of our class experience, from the ability of the presenters and session managers to work with the new technology, to the quality of the class discussion, to the ease of seeing the classroom presentations. Attendance in the fall classes was higher than it’s been in previous years, which suggests that members generally adapted well. Here is a representative sample of the reactions, both pro and con, to various aspects of online learning. [Read More]

Presenters

Members generally appreciated the efforts that presenters made to adapt their teaching style to Zoom.

• Clear speech. Knew the topic and how to present via Zoom. Timed well. Courteous to questions, comments.
  • Once [the presenter] settled in at a better location for the internet there was never a problem.
  • This presenter seemed to be the most technically savvy and it served him well.
  • Presenter is excellent. Comfortable working with Zoom, fantastic visuals, and promotes questions.
  • Knew the topic and how to present via Zoom.

Unfortunately, not every presenter made the transition successfully.

• I realize [the presenter] was in an unfamiliar environment. But. Watching the top of his head as he read his notes while being asked to maintain my own attention on the screen was frustrating.

Session Managers

Session managers received extensive training to enable them to ensure Zoom classes went smoothly. And many handled their classes well.

• The session managers made a great team with the presenter.
  • I appreciate all of the time and effort and sometimes frustration of the technical crew trying to coordinate all aspects of the Zoom experience.
  • The session manager did a brilliant job of ensuring that Zoom worked and worked well in this class that relied heavily on technology to be effective.
  • I am aware of the hard work by many people behind the scenes to create and produce so many classes on Zoom. Kudos to all of them.
  • The class manager was especially helpful to me after my first rocky Zoom attempt.

But some still had difficulty.

• We still need additional training for those who are responsible for the technology especially as we will be on-line next semester.
  • Managing and showing videos (mostly YouTube) requires some additional attention by the session managers.
  • There were numerous tech problems.

Questions and Discussion

Essential components of our classroom experience have been the ability to ask the presenter some questions and to participate in the class discussion. For some of us, Zoom did well.

• The remote learning in this course was a rousing success. The quality of class discussion was generally excellent.
  • This course had some strong participation and enlightening class discussions.

For others, this aspect of Zoom was unsatisfying.

• Also felt that the questions and comments in little black boxes right under the presenter could be moved to the side of the screen if possible so as not to be so distracting.
  • It was hard to handle discussion well in a class of this size. Perhaps it should have been more through the chat since the more voluble people crowded out the others.
  • I found it difficult to make comments.
  • I was unable to get into the second breakout session/room so missed quite a bit.
  • The kind of discussion that this sort of course is likely to elicit is what Zoom is least able to handle.
  • This is a course that would benefit from being in a classroom, where the discussion could be more freewheeling. I think this often is true on Zoom—questions and answers work okay, but discussion is more difficult.
  • There are still some issues regarding questions. We were told at the start of the talk to direct questions directly to the instructor through chat, which I did. Never got my questions answered, as everyone else sent their questions to the producer, who forwarded them to the presenter.

Seeing Class Materials

Zoom also affected our ability to see the slides and films that accompanied the presentations.

• Zoom format fine for looking at art.
  • It sure beat being one of hundreds in a cavernous lecture hall in college, squinting at small slides in the front of the hall!! Instead, this computer presentation offered us an intimate feeling with the art.
  • Zoom may have enhanced the visual experience. Every film and every person on-screen was up close and personal.
  • I loved being able to see the slides and films so clearly without a lot of intervening heads.

Still, there were some difficulties.

• The short news film clips were poor quality in picture and sounds, but I’m sure will be improved as we march forward in refining the presentations.
  • [The presenter’s] writing on the white board was very difficult to read.

Interactive Classes

Many members were pleased with their classes, such as yoga and tai chi, in which direct individual instructor-member interaction is part of the learning process.

• I have taken her classes before at LLI Bard and this one on Zoom compares favorably.
  • Zoom worked very well with this class. Being able to do it from home made it very convenient. I suspect more people would take this way.
  • Zoom worked wonderfully. It worked particularly well with this class because we could do it in the privacy of our own home.
  • This course was flawlessly done through Zoom—the presenter was familiar with Zoom, designed her setting at home to maximize its effect for Zoom and the session manager was highly skilled and helpful.
  • Zoom may have enhanced this experience. It really felt good to participate within the privacy of my home.

But the technology did not work for everyone.

• Not a good class for Zoom.
  • The audio quality was so bad I could not understand the content.
  • The activity is performed at a distance from the computer—if [the presenter] had access to a wireless mic it would have been easier to hear (Tai Chi).
  • Presenter couldn’t have seen and evaluated participant’s motions very easily.

Zoom Upside

Some people liked it.

• Thought I would not like Zoom, learned to enjoy it and appreciate the advantages of not driving to campus, finding a parking space, etc. I hope there is consideration of continuing this format in addition to campus courses in the future. It allows for many to take a class when there is no physical room on campus.
  • Zoom was really great, once again. Everything was so clear, so close, and dare I say personal? I also knew I needn’t hide my emotions as I would if sitting in a classroom.
  • Zoom has been surprisingly effective for classes for me. And, I like the flexibility it gives me to participate when there are other things that might have prevented from driving to Bard.
  • Zoom is a blessing in these times—but no class should be longer than an hour.
  • It was fun to use the polling feature of Zoom.

Zoom Downside

And many had reservations.

• The technical side of the course was understandably imperfect considering the newness of the Zoom format.
  • Missed being with so many friends at LLI Bard.
  • Zoom will never replace the pleasures of the on-campus in-person experience.
  • Please don’t consider Zoom as a steady state medium!
  • I think we could benefit from a basic “how to use zoom” preface to classes.
  • The “overall” course on zoom is just not as good as it would be in person.
  • Zoom technology seems to be an ongoing challenge with some students.
  • Voice quality was not satisfactory, probably due to the equipment used.

These and other comments will be taken into consideration as we adapt our plans for the spring semester. Thanks to all who provided such thoughtful comments.

Top